Tuesday, September 4, 2012

English Writing Studies and My Interests

Our in class discussion leads me to believe that researches are interested the psychological and social influences that affect writing and language. There was discussion about the socialization process develops our affinity for or aversion to writing. There were a bunch of topics that instantly popped into mind. So...ok,  here they are in plain English!

1. Is it a misconception that men are driven to technical writing vs emotional writing? For example: Men love Consumer Report while women read 50 Shades of Grey...True or false? 

2. I'm interested why writing dramatic differences between the sexes occurs in writing. Can we always tell the difference between a male and female writer and why? 

3. I'm interested in the language break between medical professionals and their patients. Why are things lost in translation? 

4. Certain things I've read have emotionally captivated me and/or incited rage or moved me to action. So, I'm interested in knowing what specifically about certain stories, articles, speeches move us to action and the power of influence in writing. 

However, this is just the tip of the iceberg. My mind is constantly on overdrive and there will definitely revisions to this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment